The generator is one of the most important devices in the car. The cause of frequent breakages of the generator is that it is one of the most actively loaded car parts. In spite of the fact that signs of breakage of the generator are identical to all cars, process of dismantling and repair of the generator can differ depending on models and engine displacement.
1. Check tension of wedge belt generatoradlya it it is necessary to press strongly finger on belt. If the belt caves in more than with 5 mm - it needs to be pulled or replaced. For increase in belt tension it is necessary to weaken antirotation screws, to remove the generator from the engine and again to fix screws. If on belt there are cracks and breaks - it should be replaced.
2. Before dismantling of the generator it is recommended to note the mutual provision of covers and magnetic conductor of the stator. Turn off screws, fixing back cover of the generator. Accurately disconnect halves. In front part of the generator there will be rotor, in back cover - the stator and the reformative operating components.
3. Unscrew the nuts fixing the ends of windings of the stator. Turn off screws, the fixing brush knots and the voltage controller. Study condition of brushes. If brushes act from the brush holder less than with 5 mm - replace them. Unsolder connecting wires. If necessary polish contact ring, check force of springs and smooth out the surface of contacts. Establish new brushes and make sure that they freely move in the holder. Solder wires. It is necessary to remember that before installing the regulator with the new brush holder, it is necessary to clean the slot of the brush holder from coal dust carefully.
4. Turn off the nuts fixing the diode bridge. Take the diode bridge. In case the steel contact connecting the voltage controller to the diode bridge has strongly rusted and is not disconnected from the regulator, take the regulator together with the bridge. Then disconnect parts. Check the diode bridge. If necessary replace diodes.
5. Check short circuit of windings of the starter for weight.
6. Execute check of resistance between the ends of windings.
7. Check rotor winding for compliance to nominal resistance and for fault to frame.